Monday, June 6, 2011

Introduction - Where I Am and Where I'm Going

As I mentioned in my profile, I am 60 yrs. old and after about 20 years of a sedentary, self indulgent lifestyle, I have come to the conclusion that I needed to do something to turn my life around. My health was quickly deteriorating, my joints were aching and I dreaded getting up every morning.  I had nothing I was looking forward to and each day seemed to melt into the next with no differentiation. Basically I was just lying around waiting for life to happen or not, didn't really care.  I guess it was the doctor's appt in January, 2011 that suddenly opened my eyes.  And slowly began my journey back to the land of the living.

I live in Florida, was raised and born here, quite unusual for this state. I am a former English teacher, an RN, an acupuncturist and also work part time as a deli clerk. I have 5 children, all grown and one still living at home. I have been hibernating and opting out of living a full life for many years and have decided that is no longer an option. I want to get out of my shell and experience life, have friends and be active again.

I absolutely love to cook. Trying out new recipes is something I could do all day long. I also love to teach. I hope to have my own weight loss class one day soon and be able to teach others proper nutrition and how to nourish the proper attitude to boldly go where they should have already been and have a good time getting there.

Goals are very big with me.  I know that without them I have no direction or idea of where I am or where I'm going. My desire  is to be spiritually active and aware, mentally alert, emotionally well grounded, and physically healthy and fit. I have in excess of 100 pounds to lose, so I will be at this for awhile. For the rest of my life, in fact. However, I am a many faceted person and I need to realize that I must keep from focusing my mind on only one aspect of my person. As I have learned from painful past experience, that will only lead to disappointment and, ultimately, utter failure.

I have nutritional goals, exercise goals, etc. which I will list, but I also have other goals that are just as, and in some cases, even more important than any of those. Here are some of my short and long term goals.  Also, each month I look over my past month's accomplishments and shortcomings and readjust for the coming month.  I will do that here at the beginning of each month.

Short term physical goals include
1. Staying within my nutritional limits each day (1400-1600 calories, 35g fiber, 100g protein
    under 1500mg sodium)
2. Log in my food intake each day. It keeps me honest and accountable.
3. To attend my weight support group each week for education, support and to keep from    
    internalizing defeat.
4. To have physical exercise become a habit of my every day routine. At least 30 min/day
5. Drink 16 oz water each day
6. Eat at least 5 fruit and vegetables a day.

Long term goals 
1. Audition for The Amazing Race (reality show) in the Fall of 2012 (more on that later)
2. Run a 5K, the a 10K
3. Hike the Appalachian Trail
4. Vacation in New Zealand
5. Be proud of my before and after pictures
6. Maintain my physical and mental achievements for the rest of my life (no going back)
7. Look really hot (well, maybe not hot, but at least really warm) 

No comments:

Post a Comment